Thursday 16 April 2015

RECIPE - #InstaWeanTeam Avocado Challenge!


This week's #InstaWeanTeam Challenge was inspired by a recent episode of Masterchef. One of the contestants made an avocado chocolate pudding that was slated because it tasted like avocado however, it looked DELICIOUS!

I didn't get it. Avocado. Chocolate. What's not to like? 

I decided the only way to know for sure was to make something similar myself. I trawled the Internet and found loads of different recipes with some weird and wonderful ingredients - coconut oil, raw cacao, agave. In the end, I mashed a few together and made a version using whatever I already had in the cupboard. 

The results? Mixed. L liked it and looked adorable with yummy avocado-choccy-goodness all round his chops. However, I found it quite difficult to reconcile the creamy chocolate hit with a distinct aftertaste of avocado. It looked like a rich chocolate ganache and my brain couldn't quite process the fact that it wasn't. I'll definitely try it again and perhaps tweak the ingredients a bit - a less ripe avocado would make a big difference as it wouldn't taste quite so strongly. Perhaps the addition of a little naughty melted chocolate too...? Anyway, he's my base recipe for you to play around with as you see fit.


* Note this includes honey which needs to be substituted with something else for children under 1 *

YOU'LL NEED:
1 Ripe Avocado
3 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder (I used Green & Blacks Organic)
2 Tablespoons Runny Honey
1 Teaspoon Almond Butter
1/2 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
4 Tablespoons Whole Milk

METHOD:
1. Throw everything in a food processor. Blend.
2. Spoon into a dish and refrigerate

As ever, let me know if you make this and check out the InstaWeanTeam Facebook page for the recipes from the rest of the gang :)

No comments:

Post a Comment