Despite repeated attempts, Little Dude has never really taken to strawberries. He tends to give them an exploratory lick then looks mightily disgusted and chucks them on the floor. The Very Hungry Caterpillar week has given me an opportunity to try serving them in a different way... and it worked!
Since giving him these he's actually eaten TWO chopped, uncooked strawberries. Perhaps the penny is starting to drop on just how yummy they are (they're my favourite fruit too)
60g porridge oats
20g chopped walnuts
A few generous spoonfuls of natural yoghurt
Splash of whole milk
5 medium strawberries
Optional - additional sweetner such as honey, dates, or sugar
1. Chop the walnuts and add to a bowl along with the oats (keep a few walnuts back for decoration). Pour in enough milk to make a thick porridge mixture but keep it fairly dry.
Note - Adding a spoonful of honey, some chopped dates, or a little sugar at this stage would sweeten the fingers up a little as they come out fairly savoury. We liked them that way though :)
2. Press the oat mixture onto a lined baking tray then cook at Gas 5 for 5-8 minutes.
3. Set the oat base aside to cool
4. Once cooled, spread a thick layer of yoghurt on to the oat base
5. Decorate with chopped strawberries (I made ours into heart shapes) and walnuts.
6. Put the baking tray into the freezer for 2-3 hours until the fingers have set hard
7. Slice the fingers then return to the freezer, remove each one a few minutes before serving.
Thanks to Ezpz who provided the Happy Mats we used for this week's challenge.
Check out what the rest of the team made by visiting our Facebook Page