Thursday 9 July 2015

RECIPE - #InstaWeanTeam Challenge - Casserole-Pot Moussaka


Outside of Greece, the best moussaka I've ever had definitely has to be the one my mother-in-law makes. Aubergine is another ingredient I don't cook with very often (read: ever) so when the girls decided it was going to be this week's #InstaWeanTeam challenge, I knew there was only one dish I wanted to try. When I told my own Mama that I was going to tackle a moussaka she suggested adding courgette - followers will know I'm very partial to this particular veg so throwing it in seemed like a great idea. So basically, my version is an amalgamation from the two Mamas in my life, plus my own random invention. Fortunately, I wrote the recipe down as I went because this one really is good - hearty, warming and really, REALLY tasty.

YOU'LL NEED:

2 aubergines
1 medium courgette
1 medum onion
3 large white potatoes
500g lamb mince
2 tomatoes
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 garlic clove
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp ground cinnamon 


Béchamel  Sauce:
300ml whole milk
30g butter
30g plain flour
1 beaten egg Grated cheddar

METHOD:
1. Slice the potatoes into discs and par-boil (6-8 minutes). Drain and set aside to cool.
2. Slice the courgette and aubergine into discs. Lay on a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil. Bake at Gas 5 for 25-30 minutes then set aside to cool.
3. In a pan, heat the butter and flour gently, stirring all the time until they are well mixed
4. Pour in the milk, whisk gently until just boiling and the sauce has thickened. Set aside to cool.
5. Meanwhile, add the finely sliced onion, lamb, oregano, garlic and cinnamon in the casserole dish and fry in the little oil (I used organic rapeseed) until cooked.
6. Add the tinned tomatoes and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
7. Spoon the lamb mixture into a separate bowl so the casserole dish is empty.
8. In the bottom of the casserole dish, arrange a thin layer of potato slices. 
9. Spoon a layer of lamb mixture on top, followed by another layer of potato.
10. On top of the potato, lay the aubergine then courgette, then fresh sliced tomatoes.
11. Add another layer of the lamb mixture, another of courgette and aubergine, and a final layer of potato (obviously feel free to freestyle here and arrange the layers however you fancy!)
12. Stir a beaten egg into the cooled white sauce. Pour on top of the moussaka.
13. Sprinkle on some grated cheese then bake at Gas 3 for 2 hours. 
14. Turn up the heat for the last 10-15 minutes to brown the top.


Don't forget to check out the other dishes the #InstaWeanTeam made this week by visiting our Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment