Wednesday 27 May 2015

RECIPE - #InstaWeanTeam Challenge: Giant Cous Cous and Pineapple Salad

I'm pushed for time this week because we had an epic weekend with a 600 mile round trip to the wedding of our good friends - it was an absolutely perfect day but taking time off work means I'm now rushing to catch up with everything. My first thought for our pineapple challenge this week was to make an upside down cake. It's something my Mum used to make us as kids and I haven't had one for about 20 years. Unfortunately, timing and being a bit stumped on the baby-friendly element got in the way. Inspired by a gloriously sunny Scottish weekend, I opted to make a fresh summer salad. Of course it rained all day today but, hey, just put some sunglasses on while you eat this and pretend it's warm.

YOU'LL NEED:
Fresh pineapple - a couple of rings is enough
Feta cheese - approx 3cm off a block
1 sweet potato
Giant wholeweat cous cous
Handful dried cranberries
1 Spring onion
Ground paprika 

Bah, I just realised I didn't measure my cous cous! The pack should give guidance on portion size, I just tipped some into the pan and did it by eye.

METHOD:
1. Add the giant cous cous to a pan of boiling water and simmer for around 20 minutes until soft and the water has disappeared
2. Peel the sweet potato and cut into small cubes. Toss in a little oil and paprika then lay on a baking tray and bake at Gas 5 for 20-25 minutes until starting to crisp.
3. Chop the spring onion
4. Cut the feta and pineapple into small cubes.
5. Put all the ingredients into the pan with the cooked cous cous, stir well and serve.

Minimal cooking, maximum flavour :) The pineapple is so sweet and juicy that the salad doesn't even need any dressing, making it super healthy.


Don't forget to check the InstaWeanTeam Facebook page to see pineapple recipes from the whole team

No comments:

Post a Comment