Friday 20 March 2015

RECIPE: The #InstaWeanTeam Brussels Sprout Challenge!

If you follow me on Instagram (@blwmamauk) you'll know that I'm a delighted to be part of the InstaWeanTeam; a group of Mamas who have challenged themselves to choose one key ingredient per week that we all make a meal with.

This week we've selected... drumroll please.... the BRUSSEL SPROUT! 

I love a few sprouts with my Christmas dinner but it's a vegetable that I tend to ignore for the other 11 months of the year. I've certainly never done anything with them other than boil them. So yes, definitely a challenge for me this week...

From the beginning I was set on making some sort of veggie fritter. Cabbage and mashed potato works brilliantly squished into balls and fried so I figured sprouts would work too. As usual, I've gone rogue and made up my own recipe and...boy, is this yummy!


YOU'LL NEED:

180g Brussels Sprouts
1 Medium Leek
1 Large Egg
1 Slice Bread
2 Tbs Plain White Flour
40g Cheddar Cheese (Medium Strength)
Handful Pine Nuts
Black Pepper

Oil for frying - I used Organic Rapeseed Oil.

Heavy frying pan (so it doesn't heat too quickly)



METHOD:
1. Finely chop the sprouts and leek, saute in a little butter for 5 minutes or so until soft and cooked then put them into a clean bowl to cool.
2. Put the pine nuts in a bowl and squish them with a fork to grind them into small crumbs.
3. Heat the pine nuts in a dry frying pan until they start to change colour, then add them to the bowl of veg.
4. Grate the cheese and bread - the crumbs don't need to be too fine - then add to the veg.
5. Add the flour, pepper and beaten egg to the bowl, stir everything together well.
6. Pour a little oil into the frying pan and turn it onto a low heat.
6. Pick up small handfuls of mixture and squash it together in your hands to form a ball, before pressing them down gently in your hands to create a patty shape.
7. Fry the fritters for 5-10 minutes until golden brown and cooked through, gently turning then over a couple of times. 



Check out the #InstaWeanTeam tag on Instagram for new recipes each week or to tag us in something you try yourself.

The other Mummies made some delicious dishes too - we had sprout puff pastry tarts, shrimp and sprout stir fry, sprout pancakes and loads more!

No comments:

Post a Comment