Sunday 18 January 2015

TELL ME... About Your BLW Experience

So...further to my earlier post HERE, I've gathered together the answers to the other questions I asked my Instagram and Facebook Baby Led Weaning Mommas and Papas.

BEGINNERS - this should give you a good flavour (no pun intended!) of how other people's babies have taken to BLW. In short - they are all completely different!

A reminder of the questions...

1. What made you choose to do BLW? (see my previous post)
2. How old was your little one when they started eating (rather than just playing)? 
3. What have been your biggest challenges or successes with BLW?
4. What's your 'go to' meal - guaranteed to be gobbled up?
5. If you started again, what piece of advice/tip would you tell yourself? 


Because some small part of me clearly misses working in an office, I've decided to illustrate the answers to question two by way of a jazzy pie chart...

So it turns out that Little Dude wasn't so slow on the uptake after all. Interesting that many of the babas were well over 6 months (the moment when it feels like our baby has to magically graduate from a milk only diet to eating three square meals a day overnight :-\ ) when they started properly eating food.



3. What have been your biggest challenges or successes with BLW?



4. What's your 'go to' meal - guaranteed to be gobbled up? 

"'Alpha bites' cereal, blueberries, beetroot (not altogether, though that's been done...)" @asbellina 

"Go to 'meal' is little egg tortillas. He loves them, which is great coz they are so easy to make and they're freezable." @twelvetwelvebaby

"Spaghetti Bolognese with peas followed by Greek yogurt and banana" @vblogg

"For my daughter, it was porridge blobs (like porridge fingers but the can't-be-arsed version) and for my little guy, it's lasagne or pasta with tomato and chorizo" @aoifekids

"Avocado, salmon, omelette, blueberries" @cookingforgrey

"Go-to meal is crab cakes! They absolutely love them. If I'm in a hurry, it's a chicken and hummus quesadilla." @babiesgotsnack

"Cheese on toast, chicken and carrots (not usually together!)" @suzie_crossland

"Banana and savoury flap jacks (recommended in the BLW cook book)" @mrs30

"There's not one specific persistent favourite - she's unfussy. At the moment her favourite is noodles/spaghetti. She's 14 months." @azalea_and_mum

"Since we are still pretty new, we don't really have a 'go to' meal yet. He loves sweet potato, asparagus and steak so for now that's the go to!" @dylansfoodadventures

5. If you started again, what piece of advice/tip would you tell yourself?

"Don't worry - he'll eat when he's ready 😀" @blwmamauk

"Go with your gut you're his mum it doesn't matter what others think / say." @annakaura

"I'd probably give myself the same advice as I try to with all the other aspects of this parenting thing; every baby is different, try not to compare them. :-) " @twelvetwelvebaby

"Stick at it - it'll take time. Plan meals at the beginning of the week as otherwise it can be tough to get enough variety." @suzie_crossland

"Start with easy things, if you are scared to give him chunks of food, but want him to eat independently, grate cooked veggies into little mounds easy to pick up, make little pancakes of stuff, ease into it!" @cookingforgrey

"I would tell myself to trust my son. My instinct was to trust him but the norm for introducing solids in the US is purees and I started to question myself and his abilities. After a week I stopped looking to other people and what everyone else was doing and trusted my instincts and my sons abilities." @dylansfoodadventures

"I would say don't try to be super mum and cook three healthy meals per day and clean up too...., you will never get out the house! Just try to enjoy your baby exploring and remember food before one for fun' " @mrs30

"Buy an ANTILOP high chair!" @bramblebites

No comments:

Post a Comment