Thursday 9 April 2015

RECIPE: The #InstaWeanTeam Courgette Challenge

One of the things I love about being part of the #InstaWeanTeam Challenge is that it encourages me to get out of my cooking rut and experiment with something new. Courgette (or zucchini to our American friends) is something I already use a lot but I didn't want to re-post one of my old recipes so when I spotted some forgotten filo pastry nestling in the depths of my freezer, the deal was done. Mama is making samosas!

Don't forget to look at the InstaWeanTeam Facebook page to see the courgette recipes from the rest of the gang!


YOU'LL NEED:
2 Sheets Filo Pastry
1 Medium Courgette
1 Medium Carrot
1/2 Medium Onion
1 Tsp Cumin
1 Tsp Ground Coriander
1/2 Tsp Turmeric
1/2 Tsp Coriander Leaf
Unsalted Butter (melted)

METHOD:
1. Chop the veg into small cubes/chunks. 
2. Add to a pan with a knob of butter, a splash of water and the spices. Put a lid on the pan and sweat the veg for 10 minutes until tender. Keep an eye on it and add more water if it gets too dry (you don't want the veg to brown)
3. Lay out one sheet of filo, use a sharp knife to divide it into 3 strips lengthwise
4. Cut each strip in half so you have 6 strips of pastry
5. Brush each strip with a little melted butter
6. Spoon a little veg mixture at the end of your first pastry strip (careful not to put too much down otherwise it won't fold up). 
7. Fold the bottom left corner of the pastry over the veg mixture and so it lines up with the opposite edge and forms a triangle (I wish I'd taken photos of this!).
8. Repeat this fold in the opposite direction. Keep going until you reach the end of the pastry strip. Tuck the end underneath the samosa and lay it on a baking tray covered with greaseproof paper.
9. Repeat until you've run out of mixture (I made 12 samosas)
10. Brush the tops with a little melted butter then bake for approx. 20 mins at Gas 6 until golden


 

No comments:

Post a Comment